Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Milton Glaser

If you were to ask me "Who is Milton Glaser" in the beginning of this semester I would say "I have no clue". If you were to show me four different pictures of Milton Glaser and ask me to pick one out I would say the same thing. Even though I have seen his work plenty of times, I would not know who he is. To be honest with you the "I love NY" seems so simple that I thought some hobo off the streets of NYC came up with and it just caught on with everyone! Even with his Dylan poster I never knew that Glaser was the one that was responsible for that and I consider myself a big Bob Dylan fan!



One thing that I find really fascinating with Glaser is that when he was approached to fix NY and make an iconic poster he was not given tons of money. (From what I understand from the documentary that we watched on him in class) I could of heard wrong? In the short film we were able to see inside his building and how he works. It amazes me that after all the work he has done and I'm assuming all the money he has made from his work that he is still in the same building working closely with others not thinking he is some hot shot!

Another thing that I like about Glaser is his little sign that says who is in the building.

It is very sleek and looks like a sky scraper with the letters representing windows!


Now every time I see one of Milton Glaser work and I am with friends I also act like I know everything about graphic designs asking them if they know who designed that poster and what other famous posters he has came up with!



My favorite would obviously be the Bob Dylan poster. With the black as the background for the face and the his hair being so colorful!! And the block letters he used for Dylan as well works very well as a whole! Like I said earlier with the "I love NY" design, it looks so simple that a drifter in the streets of NY came up with. The idea is not complicated and it seems like something that a elementary kid would come up with. Maybe that's why it is so catchy and popular!!

No comments:

Post a Comment