Thursday, May 16, 2013

Retail logos

One thing that I never paid attention to till this class was the logos that major retailers have. Even though I work for Target I never really sat down and thought about Targets logo or even Walmart's logo. So now I will take time to discuss my thoughts about each retailers logo starting off with my company, Target.


Above is the logo for Target. The design is simple and eye popping with the color red that it uses against the white back ground. The target symbol is now very recognizable and some can say it is iconic. You can associate the symbol as a "Target" or "Bulls eye". They also took it a step further and actually got a mascot with the logo on his eye. I believe they call the dog "bullseye" Of course the breed of the dog, a bull terrier. I believe that the Target logo is a good logo which has made a memorable impression. I am sure if you take the word "Target" and just leave the logo, I am sure that a good majority of people could easily associate the logo with Target.


This next logo is the 2nd biggest retailer in the US for the year 2012. Target is listed 3rd. I personally have never heard of Kroger's and was surprised that they were 2nd on the list above Target. Just off the logo alone I would not know what kind of store Kroger is. Luckily I googled them and they were able to tell me that they are similar to Target and Walmart. For the design it is simple and inviting using the medium to dark color blue and the grayish white on the name. The red does a good job on making the logo pop. Even though Kroger has double the stores of Target I still believe Target logo is more recognizable.



Last but not least the mogul Walmart. Walmart also has a simple design. With its name in a nice blue color and the yellow sun helps the name stand out to grab your attention. This design relies heavily on Walmarts name to designate the sun as part of the logo. I did a test with my roommates and gf and asked them to tell me what the retailer is when I cover up the name and just leave the image. Most of them knew what the Target symbol is and not many knew what the Walmart symbol was.

So all in all Target wins the logo contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment